Monday, July 02, 2007

Walk Softly

He just stood there with his arms crossed. He was not a happy camper. First day of Summer School and they had switched his room, his teacher and his para-professionals. Now he doesn't get to board his bus and ride home. Aftercare? Five more hours in the school gymnasium? What the hell is going on?

A girl steps up to him and says, "Go put your book bag on the steps and sit down."

"No!"

"Put your book bag on the step and sit down."

"No!"

She takes a step towards him and says, "You don't tell me no. Book bag on the steps and sit down.... Now!"

The director of the aftercare hears the tension in her voice and comes racing over. He knows this young man. He's dealt with the stubbornness. He's felt the blows rain down in frustration. "Whoa Whoa, I got him. I got him. It's okay. Don't upset him. I'll deal with him. You get the little kids."

The girl almost seems offended. "What? Why? What's he going to do?"

I chime in, "He's been know to try and put your head through the table."

She turns around and sees me for the first time. The director nods apologetically and says, "He just needs time to adjust. It's new for him."

"Yeah, and they switched his classroom. He's in 14 with me," I add.

The director pales and asks,"What? Are you serious?"

"Yeah, he's been on edge all day." I turn to the girl and say, "Good luck!"

No comments: