Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Note

She doesn't pass notes like all of the girls I remember from my school days. There's no secrecy. There's no attempt at stealth whatsoever.

She stands and crosses the room. The professor continues with her lecture; I think the teacher learned to just ignore this troublesome student.

She steps to my desk and I look up into her wrinkled eyes. She's somebody's mother - probably somebody's grandma. She's an educated black woman and she's gonna let everyone know!

She hands me the note, and waits for my response. It's the middle of class and she wants an instant reply. The note says

I'm an old rocker. Is your hat the group?

- My hat is emblazoned with an AC/DC logo and a few thunderbolts.

I tell her yes it was the group. She says, "I thought so. I'm an old rocker myself. You should see my Black Sabbath collection."

She returns to her seat, and the teacher lectures on.



No comments: