Friday, July 14, 2006

A Bitter Pill

Disappointed.

I had hoped to produce and direct a one act play of mine for a certain theatrical festival this August. Unfortunately, my work schedule has thrown a monkey wrench into my ointment. I have missed a few production meetings due to work and fully expect to miss the upcoming meetings as well. Not good.

I also was having a casting issue. The script is very specific as to the ethnicity of the two characters: Japanese. I needed to find two Asian actors (1M/1F) who could play Japanese college students. I had the female character cast. I met with a local actor who completely looked the part and, after reading the script seemed eager to be a part of the project. Unfortunately, his availability did not mesh well with my actress'. I struggled over a rehearsal schedule for two weeks trying to find times that would work with both of my actors, and me. I couldn't do it. I even was trying to find another actor who might be a little more available.

Days kept slipping by and I was no closer to a beginning. I had hoped to start rehearsing weeks ago. My works schedule and the casting concerns had waylaid my plans. Eventually, I was forced to admit that maybe the timing isn't right for this project. Sometimes things don't fall into place and no matter how hard you believe in a project it just refuses to come together.

I couldn't come up with a feasible rehearsal schedule.

Having a devil of a time finding a second actor to take a look at the script, not to mention possibly casting him instead of my previous actor.

Missed production meetings, due to my work schedule, and a general miscommunication with the organizer.

Not to mention the fact that I'd be out of town for a family event, during the tech week for this particular festival.

All the signs seemed to be clear. I'm just a little pig-headed; hoping against hope to find a way. I couldn't. So last night I emailed everyone involved and withdrew my submission.

It stings. It does. But the silver lining is that I have another script of mine being produced as part of Speaking Ring Theatre's Fourth Annual Vitality Festival. Still moving forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When's the exact dates for it?