Thursday, July 24, 2014

Long Live Queen!

This past Sunday Sara and I went to our first concert at Meriweather Post Pavilion; a great outdoor venue that has been around forever.  We had lawn seats and met some friends of ours at the show.  It was a beautiful evening and we were ready to be entertained.  I haven't mention who was performing, have I?

Queen!

One of my all time favorite bands!  Queen is one of those bands that I say is part of the soundtrack of my life.  My aunt still tells stories of her young nephew singing We Will Rock You ad nauseam.  Flash Gordon was one of my favorite movies as a kid and the soundtrack was by Queen!  My dad had several Queen albums on vinyl and 8 track that I listened to all the time as a youth.  Sara and I danced to Don't Stop Me Now at our wedding!  I have been a lifelong Queen fan!

'But Freddie Mercury is dead, buddy.'

Yes, I know.  Regrettably, he was unavailable for the concert. ( What would I have given to have seen Queen play Wembley Stadium?)  So Queen took the stage with Adam Lambert, of American Idol fame, fronting the band.  He was great!  I never need to hear his original work or buy a Xmas album from him but give the boy his props - He did a helluva job! 

They opened with You're My Best Friend, and proceeded to play many, many of their hits:  Fat Bottomed Girls, Another Bites The Dust, I Want It All, Bohemian Rhapsody, and many more.  They turned Crazy Little Thing Called Love, not one of my favorites, into a jam piece lasting nearly 10 minutes.  Radio Gaga was so cool with the audiences' hands in the air clapping to the beat.  The energy was amazing and the music unbelievable.  The encore was, of course, We Will Rock You, and We Are The Champions!  Amazing!

This will go down as one of the best concerts I have ever been to, I believe.  Freddie Mercury, you were missed but we had a great time!

No comments: