Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ahoy There Matey...

No, this will not be a post about sailing, or pirates, or anything nautical.  Not really.  This is a post to say Congratulations To Me!  That promotion I'd interviewed for, received, and then waited for has finally happened.  I've become a Mate 'In Training'.  A Mate is part of the management team at Trader Joe's, where I work, which you knew if you are one of my few readers. 
This past year of teaching was not what I had hoped for and it became pretty evident early on that I would not be able to support myself if I continued my job at the school.  I've enjoyed my few years of teaching, for the most part, but I've known that I did not see myself doing it long long term.  So that was my dilemma.   I was working at the school and making very little money.  I was also working at Trader Joe's, part-time, making very little money.  At home I have a wife, and a baby girl - both wonderful & lovely - and I needed to better our situation.
I wasn't even thinking of turning my part-time job into a career, but I was encouraged to interview for a promotion, nailed the interview, and needed only to wait for my teaching contract to end before I could start my training.  My contract ended last week, I said goodbye to my students, and received a call from the regional manager.  I was to start June 18th at a new store!  (Now this was no surprise.  I knew I would not be able to stay in my current location; the Annapolis store.  That's not usually how things work.)  My new home base, my new store location is taking me back to my college days.
I am now working out of the Towson store.  It's over 45 minutes away, on the other side of Baltimore, and in the town where I finished up my undergraduate college.  I have not been back to Towson very much since graduating in 1998, and much of the area has changed.  Some of it has not.  The store where I work shares a parking garage with the mall in which I worked during my time at Towson University. 
This, being the 1st week of my transition, will be an interesting one.  I have said goodbye to old coworkers/friends, and will meet many new people.  I will have to get used to the new store layout, customers, staff, and difference in routines.  I am excited to jump right in and make this job my own and I am eagerly anticipating the 1st paycheck.  (Please, please, please let it not disappoint!)

3 comments:

linda said...

sending you IRISH LUCK from Grandma June.....ask Sara. Love you. Youuuuuuuuuuuuuu'll be Swell! You'll be Great! You're gonna make a fabulous MATE! Starting now, honey...everythings coming up TY COBB!!

linda said...

that should be 'starting here...startine now....

linda said...

ok, can't type this late at night....you know what I mean!