Friday, February 19, 2010

'Frozen' Opening Night!

Last night was opening night for Frozen, after all of the recent snow forced us to postpone opening for a week. It went surprisingly well!

This is a tough show. Everyone in the cast particularly the 3 leads, myself included, have worked extremely hard on this production. It is not the easiest subject matter to deal with and I anticipate that some audience members will be overwhelmed by the nature of the show. Not to mention that my character, an unsavory sort of chap to say the least, uses foul language which is a no no with the Annapolis theatre crowd who still remember vaudeville.

Only a handful of of audience members left at intermission. My streak continues! I have done a show a season at Colonial Players for the last few years and with every show there have been walk outs! People walked out of an award-winning production at intermission because they didn't appreciate the plot. People walked out in the middle of another production because of the zany vulgarity and missed the most offensive scenes. This time an the audience members left because... well, I can only guess it was the many F-bombs, euphemisms for the female genitalia as well as my character's other unfortunate quirks and unhealthy attachment to his van. They won't be the last.


The rest of the audience seemed to really appreciate the show. I even got a few hoots during my curtain call, which I did not expect, given the nature of my role but apparently I was able to win over some of the audience members. After the show I was even complimented several times by a local critic, as well as a group of ladies who enjoyed my performance all the while hating my character! That sounds like a compliment to me.

1 comment:

linda said...

Congrats to you, Ty. Wish we could have seen it.