Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Did You Feel That?

Couple of nights ago, around quarter to 5, I was shaken from my sleep by a tremendous jostling of the house. I was dead asleep but sat straight up in bed and realized Sara was up too. What was that sound? What had shaken the house?

I was convinced a tree had fallen on our house! (Don't laugh! In our neighborhood it happens more than you'd think.) Sara hadn't heard anything except me sitting up suddenly in bed - alarmed. I needed to check the house to be sure so I got out of bed and looked out of every window I could to see if there was a tree or a huge branch leaning against the house or crushing half of the patio. There was no sign that anything was amiss.

I'd imagined the whole thing. As I lay back down in bed, heart pounding, I was concerned. Why had I been awakened by an imaginary tree falling on the house? Stress? The recent snowstorms have brought down many trees and branches in the area. Both Sara and I have been missing work because of the weather and our bank account is feeling the loss. The show that I'm supposed to be opening this weekend is being affected by the blizzards because of missed rehearsals. We'd been snowed in the house for 3 days earlier in the week.

Add it all together and it appears to be a stressful time for me and my overactive imagination. My mind was playing tricks on me, I guess.

Oh, and it's snowing as I type this post. The 2nd blizzard in under a week. The bank account's still reeling, the show's status is still up in the air, and I'm still worrying about falling trees!

1 comment:

linda said...

I offer this to you for your comfort:
TREES

by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.