Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Plunge!


Today I took part in my 1st ever Polar Bear Plunge! The weather sucked! The thermostat was stuck in the low 20's and it was snowing all day long! I guess there's something bad-ass about doing a Polar Bear Plunge in the snow!

The weather was so bad that they canceled the 2nd plunge group due to the adverse weather. I'm not sure how that makes me feel. I'd already gotten in and then they decide that maybe it's not a good idea to subject your body to those conditions?


All in all though it was a good time! I raised over $500 for the Special Olympics Maryland and I can say that I jumped into the Chesapeake Bay, and completely submerged myself, in the middle of the winter! I can also say that I now know what it means to be cold! I now can say, honestly, I couldn't feel my toes! I also now know what it feels like to have your body hair freeze - actually freeze solid!


Thank you to everyone who donated! Thank you to Adam for showing up to take photographic evidence of my Plunge! Thank you to Sara, my lovely & supportive wife, for putting up with my whims and for standing in line for over an hour in a white out to catch a return shuttle!

In case you're wondering about the hat it was a gift from my mother, I believe. Several articles of clothing are in my wardrobe because, 'I don't know anyone else that would wear this'. My mother gave me the hat, and I Plunged today for a cause I know she cared about. She was never far from my thoughts.

No comments: