Thursday, November 17, 2005

"Mother Embarrasses Teenage Daughter"


http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051116141509990001

So, apparently, this mother in Oklahoma got fed up with her daughter's slipping grades, and behavior in school. She decided to do something to try and turn her daughter around. She made her daughter stand on a street corner wearing a sign that read: "I don't do my homework, and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."

Some witnesses were horrified, one motorist even reported psychological abuse, while others applauded the mother's ingenuity.

The girl was completely embarrassed, and has started doing her homework.

Big Deal! That's what parents are for! I can't tell you how many times my mother shamed me as a teenager, whether it was the time she left out a 'Delayed Puberty' article for me to read and my older brother found it, or the countless times she told horrific, personal childhood stories to the girls in my youth group. When you're a teenager everything you parents do has the potential to send you running from the room screaming, "I hate you! I hate you! I can't believe you would do this to me! When I have kids I'll never treat them this way! I can't wait for the day when I can leave this house and never come back. You'll be sorry!"

When I think of all the signs my mother never hung on me, I breathe sigh of relief. I can just see myself standing of to the side of the Baltimore/ Washington Parkway with a posterboard that reads, 'I doodle in my notebook, fall asleep in class, read comic books instead of Twain, spend hours upon hours in the bathroom 'getting to know myself', and I talk back to my parents. I'm a teenager.'

And for all the people who are angered by this mother's actions... relax! There's worse things in this world than a mother who worries about her daughter's wellbeing. I think if anyone should be upset it's those people with the 'Will Work For Food' Signs who always did there homework, and were model students when they were in school. What about them, huh?


No comments: