Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A Bad Rap

Why does the word 'Soupy' have such a negative connotation? I don't get it. If something is said to be 'Soupy' it just means that it has the consistency of soup, characteristics of soup, or appears to be Soup-Like. What's wrong with that?

I like soup... I love soups... All kinds... Brothy... Chunky... Creamy... Canned...

Sometimes there is nothing more satisfying than a big bowl of piping hot soup, and a sleeve full of crackers! It seems unfair to me that 'Soupy' has become such a villainous term. How very cruel.

I wonder how many other words out there have been similarly besmirched, and cheapened by narrow-minded consumers. (How great a word is 'Besmirched' though?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all his fault:

http://www.amdest.com/stars/ssales.html

Pick a peck of pickled Peck said...

Soup is my favorite food. That, and beer. Mmmmmm . . . beer soup.