Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Color of My Thumb

 
Sunflowers growing from seeds.



It's that time of year again.  I'm attempting to garden some... just a little.  We don't have a lot of room outside, a yard, or a garden area.  All of my plants are potted and easily moved around to catch the best sunlight. Last year I did not fair so well.  My pepper plant wasn't very productive.  Nor my tomato vine.  My basil died early and everything else never really thrived.  In my defense, last Summer was very hot, I started a new job and wasn't very attentive to my plants. 

This year, so far, I have a tomato plant, & some spinach I bought from the farmers market.  I'm attempting to grow sunflowers, swiss chard, and jalapeno peppers from seeds.  Pretty soon I'll invest in a few herbs.  I always like to have basil around, maybe some cilantro.   We'll see.

My 1st casualty of the season has already occurred.  I put my Sunflowers (pictured) outside to catch some sun.  I left them out for too long, the night came and when I went to fetch the sprouts a slug had already viciously attacked them.  The beast was hanging on the bigger of the 2 plants, the stem had broken and the plant was a goner.  I was able to transplant the surviving flower, and I hope it recovers from such a traumatic experience.

So what will this growing season hold for me?  Will I be successful... fruitful even?  Or will my green thumb blacken and die like my many mini-crops?

No comments: