Saturday, September 04, 2010

The Week In Review

The cracked radiator was replaced by yours truly, and Adam, this past Sunday. We decided this was a repair we might be able to do on our own. (We've made that mistake before.) In this case it proved to be true. We bought the radiator, and did all of the labor ourselves essentially saving hundreds of dollars. The car seems to be running fine, and made it through the 1st week of my commute for the 2010-2011 school year without even the slightest twinge on the temperature gauge.

The school year has officially started and I have been relocated. Sort of. I'm still at the same school but because of staffing needs I have been traded to a different program. I am now working as a one to one for an older student who will be transitioning out of the school in the next few years. It is an interesting change of pace. My work day now has the added features of job sites 3 times a week, and more of a focus on independent living skills then on academics. I am excited to see how this year goes.

I was called in for a sudden audition at a local theatre company here in Annapolis. They were having a hard time casting their current show and my name had been thrown out there as some local talent worth checking out. I wasn't really interested in the beginning. [Since I've been in Maryland I have been really choosing my productions carefully. Gone are the days of auditioning left and right for numerous productions, and just crossing my fingers to work on a show, any show because I wanted to be on stage. Now I only audition when it's something I really want to work on.] I decided to audition for a few reasons.

1) It would've been an equity show. Union. Paid acting work.
2) Rehearsals would not have interfered with my other 2 jobs.
3) The director works for a professional theatre in the area Sara and I are hoping to relocate to soon.

So I auditioned not having read the script, and showing up without a headshot and a resume because I wasn't planning on auditioning 20 minutes prior to showing up. I had a pretty good audition. I didn't get it. They needed me to be available earlier in the day that was possible for me. I was strongly complimented, asked to audition in the future, and sent on my way.

Wednesday was a big old mess. The hostage situation in Silver Spring screwed up traffic patterns all around DC and it took me over 3 hours to get home from work that day. Fortunately, I now drive a coworker to work most days so his presence helps keep me relatively sane when I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic all damn afternoon. I know that I am coming across extremely self-absorbed to minimize the tragic events at the Discovery Channel building down to messing up my commute but that's what happened. Yes, several people were held hostage for many hours, and a man died but I was more upset by my personal inconvenience at the time. So what?

The rest of the week was fine. Hurricane Earl didn't affect us at all after all of the hubbub. 3 day weekend is here and Sara and I are sitting out on our porch drinking coffee and reading a book. We'll get to hang out with some family this weekend, enjoy the cooler weather, and maybe even see a free concert.

No comments: