Sunday, May 09, 2010

Has It Been 8 Years?

The answer is Yes! It has been 8 years to the day, Mother's Day, that I found out that my mother had been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. Luckily I had 7 more Mother's Days with her in my life. Today is the 1st one since she passed away last July. It hasn't been an easy weekend... or year for that matter.

I'm not sure how this grieving process is supposed to work. It's been 10 months and I miss her everyday. I'm pretty sure that is normal. Somedays I obviously miss her more than others. Today I really miss her.

A day to honor and appreciate mothers and I no longer have mine in my life to give a card to, hug, or even just call to chat with her. She loved the cards - I often gave her 2; a serious one and one that would make her laugh. I was even tempted to buy a card this year just because. I didn't.

Sara and I drove to Reston, VA yesterday to take part in the 8th Annual Northern Virginia Race & Walk To "Break the Silence" On Ovarian Cancer. It was beautiful day for the event. It rained early on before the race but then cleared up in time for the event. Several years ago this was the 1st Cancer Walk that we did with Mom, and it's still a day I remember very fondly. I thought it appropriate that Sara and I honor my mother on this weekend by walking in her honor.

I enjoy the various Cancer Walks that we participate in. They're often events that we do with our family. This particular event is one that is important to me. Yesterday it was just Sara and I. We both felt Mom's absence, but were warmed by our memories of her as the sun shone down on the multitude of people walking for the cause. I will hope to continue this Mother's Day tradition for as long as we are able to take part. It helps me.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm proud of you.