Monday, September 03, 2007

Limping Through The Sky

Once again I stood against the stiff breeze - (Hehe, I said Stiff) - string in hand, guiding my lame dragon through the air. Suddenly, a gust of wind kicks up around us and the patio umbrella takes flight. Sara reaches up and prevents the umbrellas escape, and I, kite in one hand, cellular phone in the other, rush over to lend a free hand.

I don't have one.

1 minute later & the umbrella was secure, my phone call prematurely terminated and my kite, once again, floating in the Chesapeake Bay. So I waded in after my cheap, plastic dragon kite which cost me $2. I rescue it.

Unfortunately, the string has come unwound and caught up in the rocks of the shoreline. I work against the rising tide to untangle the tangle. I get free, only to be confronted by the single worst, monstrosity of a knot ever to be seen on a string.

Part of me wants to just say, "Fuck It!" Throw the string into the bay and forget about my little lame dragon. But I don't.

I spent close to a half hour working on that knot. Yeah, okay, a half hour isn't that long but it seems like an eternity when your working on a knot. I did it. Freed the dragon, fought down my impatience and lived to tell the tale... and all for a kite.

Sometimes the little victories are the sweetest.

No comments: